Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More Elite Marines!!!

After reading the new SM codex, i think its getting worse.

A space marine is the imperium's Elite combat unit.
1) terminators are the veterans, OK its always been so.- fluff from space hulk.
2) veteran squads were introduced. Did not really like it but it made sense. Terminators without the tactical dreadnought armour
3) honour guard??? what the heck, more elite troops in an already elite army( this one already came out in the last codex)
4) Vanguard and Sternguard??huh???

It a bit too much now. How many more elite troops can you have in an already elite army? GW is really over dong it. Now it makes the regular tactical space marine seem pretty normal, which should not be the case.

Also, the new weapons and special rules...

Space marines' strength is in his stats , power armour and the ' know no fear rule". These are the 3 pillars of the astrates. No need for more funky rules or more elite units. A space marine army should be made up of a majority of tactical squads, supported by terminators, assault or devastators squads. Not all these other funky new age stuff...I feel GW is really losing their way on this one.

3 comments:

Junx said...

Actually I kind of agree with some of what Dylan says..

The Veteran Vanguard is a bit over doing it ... but the Sternguard rules kind of make up for the "customization" part of the previous codex.

Now you have one squad who can shoot special bullets without having to intro new rules, which makes halfway sense.

But I agree overall, introducing Scout bikes and grenade launchers is plain stupid ... unless you're playing a White Scars variant.

The Droppod is a nice touch though... if you read the rules closely, I don't think there is really any point in taking a commander when you can take either a Chapter Master or a super powerful Librarian.

The new LandRaider is ok lah.. given that Chao Marines have defilers and Princes...but Ironclad?? Come on man, you add in veteran dreadnought, and furioso, that's like 4 different dreadnoughts an army can field lor... That's more than Chaos Marines and Eldar combined!

My thoughts on the matter.

voxcaster said...

Haha... I agree with what you guys say, but i guess by adding all the elite stuff in, you allow a player more choice to tinker with his army. Still it allows you the flexibility to play with the old school army list (tacticals supported by termies and all), or it allows a newer player the choice to create a different type of space marine army.

I cannot really say much because i don't really know the newer fluff, so maybe the setting is more of the current age where the codex astartes is changing as well. Where the new space marines are using more and more new tech.

As for play balance, i can say even less, for i don't really know the points costing and the effectiveness of the new units.

So besides selling more models, which is the obvious GW plans, i really cannot envision it to be a bad thing or a good thing...

but hey, i was a red shirt once... ehhehe

Uzagudun said...

Well, I guess there's good and bad. For traditionalists, it's looks bad because it looks like GW is departing from well-loved fluff. Good? Well, more toys can't hurt eh?

I'm with Jason on one main point (which I think GW keeps stressing as well): We're just here to have fun. We can mod any rule we like, especially if it makes sense to us. The new rulebook says that and I see it stated in every recent rulebook (if memory serves me right). Even if GW one day says things like 'hey, you guys can't change any rules', i'll just go 'well, what you gonna do about it?' I don't participate and don't intend to participate in tourneys (probably the only place where the rules are strictly enforced). Even if I do participate in tourneys some day, I'll still just field what I like and believe in.

So to put things into perspective, my stand is this: The new codex has got new stuff. If you don't like it certain things for whatever reason, don't field them. In the one-off event that you want to field them, it's there :). Also, I think the new stuff is quite fairly-costed. I mean tactical squad is 90 points for 5 men. Sternguard is 125 for 5! That's 25 points for a single marine. That's more than a Grey Knight.

The last thing I see is this: It's a new codex. I wouldn't buy a new codex if there wasn't anything new in it. :)

Thus, I'm lookin forward to the next DA dex. :)

Life is such, must look at the positive side of things.

Price increase though... I don't like ;)