Monday, July 17, 2006

The Horus Heresy

Just finished reading the second book of the Horus Heresy Series. It's called False Gods and I must say... the standard of the series is much better than ANY Black Library book I've read so far...

It's stimulating in imagery, and creates a sense tragedy about Horus and his Legion that feels real.. especially as most of the narrative is seen from one the Sons of Horus' point of view : that of Capt Loken...

Capt Loken is a straight up, typical Loyalist Marine of that time. Strong, intelligent and a warrior with honour through and through. You can sense both his sense of helplessness and his internal warring over finding that the Astartes has a traitor in its midst, and of course, that the Warmaster's character changes...

I'm not gonna spoil it all for you guys, but let's just say the book is a worthy read... cos it's made me want to play 40 K!!!! Unfortunately, reading it is making me think twice abt collecting the Worldeater marines, cos they are bloodthirsty warriors without honour... I'm really tempted to play a staunch space marine army now...

Sigh.. too bad 40k is too simplistic.. I really hope playing Cities of Death is enjoyable...

2 comments:

voxcaster said...

I've started reading the first book 'Horus Rising', I must admit that it is a rather interesting first four chapters so far, but I still have my doubts about Dan Abnett's writing.

I guess his characters all seem quite one-dimensional and similar.

Loken seems interesting, but i'm now quite keen on the second book purely because I always reckoned Graham McNeill is a better writer...

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»